Monday, July 10, 2017

13 Reasons Why

This past school year really seemed to be a tough one for many students. In this school year alone, our 8th-grade class had three students that returned to school after suicide attempts and others that that practiced cutting as a way to deal with emotional trauma, anxiety, or depression.  At the same time, 13 Reasons Why, a Netflix series was taking the class by storm and many students were talking about the series or reading the book.  And, nationally the series sparked much controversy and debate. Some argued that the series glorified suicide and provided an unrealistic representation of depression. Others felt that the series and the book brought light to a subject that is often considered taboo and needed to gain attention. I've read the book and watched the series in one full binge because I wanted to be able to understand both perspectives as well as form my own opinion.  Even after that, I can see why there are such varied perspectives. Many schools are considering and some are going through the process of banning the book and other school districts have sent communication out to parents with regards to the delicate nature of the series and book. At my school, our counselor worked with parents and students that could be considered vulnerable to the messages in both the book and the series but no communication went our school-wide.

I have been alarmed but not surprised at the suicide data both nationally and in our state specifically in our youth considering increases cases of cyberbullying.  In Georgia, suicide is the third leading cause of death for ages 10-24 while in contrast the eleventh leading cause of death amongst all Georgians (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention).  This past May, deputies in Bibb County were able to save a teen who went live with her suicide attempt via Facebook ( New York Daily News, 2017).  According to the Georgia Office of Child Fatality, “Although rates vary somewhat by geographic location, within a typical high school classroom, it is likely that 3 students (1 male and 2 females) have made suicide attempts.

Source: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

13 Reasons Why, while not appropriate for many teens, in my opinion, does offer an opportunity to open dialogue about teen suicide. I know many parents that are choosing to watch the series or read the book along with their teen to discuss misconceptions or offer space to talk about suicide in a constructive way.

How do we support our youth?
How do we support teachers in being able to identify warning signs and offer continued support?
How do we support our community?

References

"American Foundation For Suicide Prevention." AFSP: Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 July 2017.

Boroff, D. (2017, May 4). Georgia deputies save teen attempting to commit suicide on Facebook Live: 'The right people were watching'. New York Daily News. Retrieved July 10, 2017, from http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-deputies-save-teen-attempting-suicide-facebook-live-article-1.3136414

Georgia Child Fatality Review Panel Annual Report - Calendar Year2013 (pp. 75-80, Panel Presentation). (n.d.). https://gbi.georgia.gov /sites/gbi.georgia. gov/files/related _files/site_
page/2013%20CFR%20Annual%20Report.pdf

6 comments:

  1. I have not read or seen this series yet. However, I know people I work with at the local high school received correspondence from the district regarding the series and from there it became popular among the teachers to view. After reading this, I think I will watch it. Our system has a Success Center, which is a program providing wrap-around services to teens struggling with these issues. There are mental health providers at school and the students go through the insurance to receive their support. I am hopeful this helps my specific district.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds like a solid system of supports for students and families. I'm curious about other districts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen the series either. Of course I heard plenty about it from my students last year. Definitely a great system described here. This sparks my interest so I plan to ask my admin about anything we have lined up this week when I return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I bet that at the HS level more students were aware and discussing the book and series. I am interested to know what your admin team share with you.

      Delete
  4. I plan to watch this on Netflix. We have had several students this year who have told others that they have contemplated suicide. This is extremely hard to hear from an 8 year old! A few of our 4th and 5th grade students have watched 13 Reasons Why with older siblings. We sent out the document provided online that provides parents with information about the show and talking points. From what I have heard, no elementary student should watch this (especially without an adult). I agree that this show could be beneficial to teens when they watch with an adult who can help them process what they are seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart breaks for kids that are feeling this helpless and alone. I am always so shocked by the age of the younger students who have considered or attempted suicide. It's really tough... I would agree that it's not appropriate for elementary age children.

      Delete