Monday, July 10, 2017

New Look Into a Principal's Job

My twenty-day tenure as the administrator for Summer School for my school gave me the opportunity to get a glimpse of what my principal is responsible for doing 365 days. I've got to tell you: it was pretty daunting. Having everyone looking to me for guidance and my say-so being the last say-so was not something that I was used to; and I never got used to it.

As an Assistant Principal, I make decisions all the time for my department, but I usually run those decisions by my principal first. My principal was around during summer school, but many of the decisions that I had to make were split-second ones and I only had time to tell her about them later. Fortunately, they were all good ones.

Needless to say, I went home exhausted nearly every day and have a new-found respect for the kind of tired that principal's go home with. I had become accustomed to the assistant principal tired and stress that I started with at the beginning of the year and could manage it. This new kind of stress and tired that comes with the role of principal was different. I felt the weight of the summer school program on my shoulders and wanted to make sure the students got what they needed from their teachers and the teachers had the support they needed to complete their jobs. Along with that responsibility came the logistics and organizing of resources for the program; as well as planning for and setting up retesting for the GMAS. It all went well and I got great feedback from the parents, students, and teachers. I enjoyed myself and am able to walk away from the experience knowing that I did everything in my power to ensure its success.

5 comments:

  1. Woohoo! What a great experience for you as well as an accomplishment. From observing my principal, I am often amazed not only at the number of decisions that need to be made each day but like you said the "split-second ones" all of which come with heavy responsibility. No doubt that you received positive feedback from students, teachers, and parents. I know that I would feel very supported under your leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great experience and what a nice way to get to see what a being a principal is about without being one full time yet! I am glad the experience ended well, I am wondering if you ever want to be a principal after the experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meredith

      I think I would, but I'd need at least another 4 years of experience as an AP before I'd actively pursue it.

      Delete
  3. Adrienne:
    That is a great experience. I was able to work as the administrator for a special education summer school program in my district about 2 years ago. I totally understand where you are coming from. All decisions that are made have to be quick and rational in the best interest of the students. Because I worked with all special education students for the summer the pressure was compounded. Congrads, do you think you would do it again next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephanie,

      If given the opportunity, I'd do it again next year.

      Delete