Monday, July 17, 2017

E + R = O

I am really enjoying the book Above the Line by Urban Meyer. In my 1st blog I talked about what it means to live and be above the line. I also shared the equation:

Event + Response = Outcome

I am going to share with you Urban Meyer's 6 ways to respond to an event so that the outcome is positive. 

1. Press Pause- Give yourself the time to think in order to make the best decision 
2. Get your mind right-Our own inner thoughts can be our downfall. Remember to focus on the positive and productive thoughts. Think of this is more as having a growth mindset. 
3. Step up- We all will face challenges. We cannot run from these challenges and must meet them with above the line thinking. 
4. Adjust and adapt- Change will occur at some point in your life. Life will only get more difficult if you don’t adjust.
5. Make a difference-Make a positive impact on others.
6. Build Skill-Be willing to learn and grow. “Greatnesss is a choice.”

The rubber meets the road when you respond to an event. How you respond will determine who you are and your success.

As I reflect on the 6 R’s, I can say that I have used all six responses. I have also been in situations in which I have done the opposite. When I pause and get my mind right things tend to work out better.

Reflect on an event that did not turn out quite the way you planned. How could exhibiting one of the 6 R’s possibly changed the outcome of that event?

3 comments:

  1. I can remember when I had to speak to a paraprofessional in the hallway for not being where she should be. The paraprofessional had an ongoing problem of not being in the classroom working with students in which was assigned. So because I was in the hallway and have passed by this paraprofessional at least 3 times in one hour, I had to address it. What came out was not as professional as I normally could have. So as I reflect on the 6 R's I could have changed the outcome of the event by pressing pause and got my mind right to address the issue. Overall, I had to apologize for the way that I spoke, but I still had to reprimand the paraprofessional, but the next time it was done through an email where I could craft an appropriate response to the behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these 6 Rs! I love them. Unfortunately I think I get stuck on number 2 quite often. I catch myself thinking negatively in many situations and becoming frustrated instead of focusing on how I could make the situation a productive and more positive experience. I am going to work on this throughout this school year. It is not the problem, but how we respond to it that makes us great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katrina,
    I love these 6Rs. Number 4 is where my staff become stuck, and I must admit I secretly do too. I continuously keep in mind of when I was in their shoes and how my administrator spoke to me or reacted to me. I always want to make my staff feel valued and important, but these 6 Rs are a great way to continue ensuring this happens.

    ReplyDelete