Sunday, July 16, 2017

RTI

Response to Intervention

For the 2017-18 school year I will be working with the response to intervention (RTI) process. This is a new role for me as I am now working on prevention of special education rather than the implementation of special education. The RTI process has been very flawed in my district. For the most part, my district just started the process of enforcing RTI. The lack of training to support general education teachers in the implementation of the RTI has been and ongoing issue since the inception of the system. Educators has long felt that the response to intervention strategies creates a process that is tedious and overwhelming. The teachers feel the lack of training creates frustration and low teacher political morale. The positive is that if RTI is implemented with fidelity, it could possibly provide students with the intervention that can help them succeed and ultimately reduce the number of students that are evaluated for special education services.  My principal has indicated that RTI is one of the priorities for the school and will be enforcing implementation with teachers. My goals is to help the teachers with implementation and training so they will not feel frustrated and overwhelmed. Hopefully, this will ensure that students who are referred to special education will truly need the individualized intervention. Wish me luck….. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    I think RTI is very hard to implement across a district if the same processes are not happening at each school. What are your proncipal's plans or vision for how RTI is implemented at your school? Will you be receiving training before you train teachers? Have you all decided upon the school-wide interventions that the teachers will be responsible for implementing in Tiers 2 and 3?
    I hope all goes well for you this year. If you need anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, RTI is a challenge across the state; however, the shift in mindset of the purpose for RTI is improving. I see more teachers understanding that RTI is being able to provide students with interventions that allow opportunity for success and not a gateway to special education. I have the same wonderings that Adrienne had about the principal's vision for RTI? This will be critical in developing a plan for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little bias. Please don't judge me; but, do you think the system of RTI itself is flawed? Also, I am curious to know who is going to help teachers implement the interventions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete