Monday, July 24, 2017

New Year, New Me (Within Reason)

I just finished my first day back for the new school year and I am psyched!! Today and tomorrow, I, along another one of the assistant principals at my school, am hosting the New Teacher Orientation for the teachers at our school. We are going over policies and procedures that are specific to our school and sharing expectations of instruction for our teachers to implement. We have thirteen teachers in attendance. All of the teachers are new to the school, but only five are new to the county. They all share our enthusiasm for the school year to start and are thinking positively about what the 2017-18 school year will offer.

One thing that we talked about today was how each year we try to reflect on the year before and make changes as needed. As the teachers were sharing their ideas, I thought about my own year. Last year was my first year as an assistant principal and my first year at Lilburn so I spent a lot of time stepping back and just measuring the temperature of the school while building relationships. I tried not to change much in terms of procedures unless it was something that was not best practice. This year, a few things may change. These are changes that I feel are necessary based on my experience and some of the knowledge that I've gleaned from this program and research I've conducted based on my major project.

As I go forward in my second year, I am more confident than I was last year. Why wouldn't I be? I have a better idea what to expect in terms of my duties and responsibilities. I've also built solid relationships with my team and the staff and students at the school. This year is going to be great and I'm excited to begin this journey. I wish you all the best and I hope we'll keep in touch. Kiska, Christian, and Lisette: I'll see you in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment