Saturday, July 1, 2017

Cell phones...eventually then end of the world?

As I sit at the beach on vacation, I look around and take notice to what everyone is doing.  Now don't get me wrong, my phone is an integral part of my life, but I can definitely say that it does not consume my life.  I'm 31 years old and remember when I was young and when I would be at the beach, it was always continuous activity it seemed.  Playing in the ocean, digging and building in the sand, fishing, or throwing the football or baseball were daily activities for myself, my brother, and my dad.  Looking around now I see the majority of people sitting in their beach chair scrolling through their Facebook or Instagram profiles, uploading pictures, texting, or sitting with their headphones in talking to no one.  The amount of time phones seem to consume people of all ages, but especially school age children, is absolutely terrifying.  Social skills are diminishing almost annually it seems with no improvement in sight.  Maybe it is just me, but consider me worried.

1 comment:

  1. I 100% agree with your post. As I sat on the beach this past weekend, I observed the same cell phone activity. I am guilty of this, but this past weekend I made a conscious effort to use my phone for music only. I must say….I ENJOYED MY TIME SO MUCH!! I swam more than I normally do. I took a nap and then swam some more. I took in the beauty of the waves and sky. It was so serene!!! A few weeks ago, my husband and I traveled to Punta Cana. We left our phones in the hotel room and enjoyed being in each other’s presence. One day we brought our phone and it was a disaster. My husband worked, because cell phones are now our office away from the office. This took up precious time on our trip. It was a complete difference than when we did not have our phones! It is hard to unplug from the world because technology has us PLUGGED IN. I am learning to live in the moment and not on my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete